LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

If your landlord misspelled his registered LLC company in Virginia

If your landlord misspelled his registered LLC company in Virginia on your lease would this represent a non valid lease and fall under a month to month type lease??

Hello Drew,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

A lease is a type of contract. Certain elements are required in order for such a document to be valid and enforceable. A simple typographical error will not serve to invalidate a lease. It would have to be of such magnitude to constitute a material omission to rise to that level. Some instruments do require rather strict compliance. Deeds certainly come to mind, and a legal description of property had better be exactly perfect. Here, however, the same just doesn't apply. I realize that may conflict with what you've heard elsewhere, but I felt compelled to be honest rather than mislead you.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I hope all works out for you.

Happy New Year!

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So your stating that if the LLC listed on my lease is not spelled correctly and not correctly listed in the Virginia SSC records then that is not a valid reason to negate the lease/contract. The attorney we have hired has secured a document from the SSC listed on our lease is not a valid company. What are our chances of movinf forward to break our lease due to the fact my past job lost govt funding and I had to take a position more than 50 miles from my present location [which is a clause in the lease if relocating with same company I listed on the executon of the lease]. Thanks, Drew

Hello Drew,

Yes, that's my opinion. I could say otherwise, but I won't do you the disservice of lying, even when the law is unfavorable to your position.

As far as your chances go, in all candor I have no way of knowing. To even hazard a guess would require thoroughly reviewing your case file, just for a start, so the best I can do on that score is to refer you to your retained legal counsel.

I am sorry.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Hello Drew,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Ben, J.D.