LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

If your landlord misspelled his registered LLC company in Virginia

Customer Question

If your landlord misspelled his registered LLC company in Virginia on your lease would this represent a non valid lease and fall under a month to month type lease??
Category: Business Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.

Hello Drew,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

A lease is a type of contract. Certain elements are required in order for such a document to be valid and enforceable. A simple typographical error will not serve to invalidate a lease. It would have to be of such magnitude to constitute a material omission to rise to that level. Some instruments do require rather strict compliance. Deeds certainly come to mind, and a legal description of property had better be exactly perfect. Here, however, the same just doesn't apply. I realize that may conflict with what you've heard elsewhere, but I felt compelled to be honest rather than mislead you.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I hope all works out for you.

Happy New Year!

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So your stating that if the LLC listed on my lease is not spelled correctly and not correctly listed in the Virginia SSC records then that is not a valid reason to negate the lease/contract. The attorney we have hired has secured a document from the SSC listed on our lease is not a valid company. What are our chances of movinf forward to break our lease due to the fact my past job lost govt funding and I had to take a position more than 50 miles from my present location [which is a clause in the lease if relocating with same company I listed on the executon of the lease]. Thanks, Drew

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.

Hello Drew,

Yes, that's my opinion. I could say otherwise, but I won't do you the disservice of lying, even when the law is unfavorable to your position.

As far as your chances go, in all candor I have no way of knowing. To even hazard a guess would require thoroughly reviewing your case file, just for a start, so the best I can do on that score is to refer you to your retained legal counsel.

I am sorry.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello Drew,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, J.D.