Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

I have my own home improvement business licensed in pa. I took

I have my own home improvement business licensed in pa. I took on a job without a written contract, when I first bid the job it was on what was drawn out on the plans. It turned out that the client lied to the architect, the job had completely changed tripling to quadrupling the labor and job difficulty to the point its not feesible to continue the job. Is it illegal for me to walk away from this job seeing that it isn't financially prosperous to complete it,? What else can I do as the client has only offered me $500 more then what I bid the job and I pretty much went broke on this job as he's held me to my original bid
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You have a valid cause of action against your client because your client is in default under your verbal agreement. This will not only give you the right to terminate but also to sue the client for damages. The lack of a written contract can be overcome by the concept of promissory estoppel, detrimental reliance, and unjust enrichment. This situation arises when Person A relied upon the verbal agreement, Person A performed based on such reliance, and because Person B defaulted, such reliance is now to Person A's detriment. Where there is i) partial performance by Person A based upon the mutual promises, ii) Person A relied upon such promises to perform, iii) Person B's failure to perform would be to Person A's detriment, and iv) result in Person B being unjustly enriched, Person A can overcome the legal requirement that the agreement be in writing. You have met all the foregoing elements. Filing the suit will put in you better position, because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to attach bank accounts, and/or have the sheriff seize other property to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!
Thank you for the bonus! I appreciate your kindness and generosity!