TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney

Hi, my friend/business partner and I were doing a joint venture

Hi, my friend/business partner and I were doing a joint venture together. Las month, he decide to cheat me out of several deals, and then locked out of some computer programs. We are no longer doing business together. In the joint venture I created a corporate logo for the venture on my behalf of my company. The friend/business partner never paid for the corporate logo and the logo still belongs to me. I would like to know how to write a cease and desist letter for 1) partner to stop using the logo and 2) likeness of the logo. I live in Texas.

Thank you for your question. The following is a form for the letter:

Dear Mr. ______:

I write regarding your use of the _______ (name) logo in connection with our now defunct joint venture.

The logo, and all related derivatives, is my intellectual property under the copyright laws of the United States. Your continued use of the logo and any derivative works is in violation of my copyright.

Please take this letter as official notice to CEASE AND DESIST all use of the subject logo and any and all derivative works. You are already liable for monetary penalties under the US Copyright Act and in common law in Texas. Unless you immediately CEASE AND DESIST all further use of the logo as directed, I will have no choice but to file suit against you and seek full damages for your malfeasance.

Very truly yours,

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I need an attorney to write this letter or is writing it myself sufficient? Thank you.

It always has more force when coming from an attorney, but you can write it.

A cease and desist is a formal warning, but it has no legal effect other than to show the other side that you are serious and are going to file a lawsuit if they don't comply.