Legalinfomd, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 24 years of experience in business law.

I was involve in a car collision and was not at fault the other

I was involve in a car collision and was not at fault the other driver was charge and ticket for the collision. I own my car and no leins against it. I report it to my insurance company. I also report it to the other person insurance company. My insurance sent out an ajuster and in a few days they sent me a check for the cost of repairs.15 days later the other person insurance ajuster out. They call me back the same day and said they will be sending me a check for the cost of repairs also. Do i have the right to keep both check.

Legalinfomd :

Hello. I will answer your question.

Legalinfomd :

There is a clause in all auto policies that states that if your insurance company pays your claim, and then you recover from another insurer, you must give that money to your insurance company. As a result, you cannot keep both checks. If you do, your insurance company will find out about it (when it tries to recover from the other insurance company) and you could risk having your coverage be cancelled (and might not be able to get insurance coverage in the future). You should contact your insurance company, explain the situation, and ask them how they would like you to handle it. They will probably tell you to send their check back, and keep the other check.

Legalinfomd :

I wish I could tell you that you can keep both checks, but unfortunately you cannot. The insurance companies talk to each other and will discover the matter.

Legalinfomd :

I hope that this information is useful. Please be sure to click on a positive rating for my response so that I will be compensated for my time. Thank you and good luck.