Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I had entered into a verbal business agreement with my brother

Customer Question

I had entered into a verbal business agreement with my brother who stated I was to receive 15 dollars for every light fixture sold. He provided a year end statement showing the number of fixtures sold and the amount of monies recieved. It was the one and only one I recieved for the year 2009 he would not provide for 2010 and 2011 so I have no ideal what the commission was and how much I was to recieve. He also gave 200,000 dollars of my commission to his son and son-in law which he said he would repay me if they did not and I have not received that either what can I do I don't have funds to sue
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Legally, you have to sue, that is the only remedy you have against him. Enforcement of oral contracts in NY is difficult because all contracts are to be in writing to be enforceable under the Statute of Frauds. There is an exception to the statute of frauds which you are arguing here in that when a party to the contract has partial performance (you made sales) in reliance on the contract, then this is an exception to the Statute of Frauds for oral contracts. Under NY law you have 6 years to sue for breach of contract.

I am afraid a case of this value has to go to the supreme court civil division and cannot go to small claims court, which means you need an attorney. Just because one attorney gave you such a high retainer does not mean all attorneys will want that much, so you need to shop around to find an attorney you can afford, because court is your only recourse I am afraid if you want to get your money.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”