Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

California Retail Permit I am a house flipper and I sell

California Retail Permit

I am a house flipper and I sell over 10 houses a year. My associates mentioned to me that I can get a retail permit and buy building material at wholesale price but use them on our projects. Kind of like my company selling to itself.

Is this legal? If not, what do I need to do to make it legal? What are the caveats of doing this?

bizlaw :

You would not be entitled to a resale sales tax exemption because you are considered the final purchaser of building materials that you are using in remodeling a house.

bizlaw :

If you need further help please do not rate 2 stars/faces "Helped a little" or 1 star/face "I expected more".This is considered a negative rating against me.

Just reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" or "REPLY" button with the questions you have as I receive no compensation for my efforts for the lowest two ratings.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

Regulation 1521. If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it by giving a three stars/faces or higher . That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication

Customer:

Could you give me pointers to CA SOS website or code sections that discusses the eligibility?

Customer:

it's not only the sales tax i want to save. With I retail license, i can qualify for wholesale pricing from vendors. I don't mind paying the sales tax. I want to know the requirement and ramification of getting a retail license.

bizlaw :

Here is link to a tax board publication. Search for remodelling and you will see the discussion of buying materials to remodel an existing building. If I have answered all your questions please highly rate my answer as that is how I am compensated. Here is the link. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:_TMhOMBpOFwJ:www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub9.pdf+ca+sales+tax+on+building+materials+incorporated+into+a+house&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&a mp;srcid=ADGEESiiDytfX5mWzFkVbl_-Vn6amj4Ndndh5z7O7v2WchfJHj98yedWQxbTxgmzinUC84T3g7bEvBkwNHHbkETpu4eB7kvo2TDh8TuuHFH80UxC1Ck5IbE3bZfykF7oh4sf_Z4a7Pr4&sig=AHIEtbTQZyyqpAXSpV7KstRhOQx_SemlXw

bizlaw :

It is Publication 9 from the CA Tax Equialization Board