Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

CAN ONE PARTNER OF AN LLC, CREATE A SEPARATE LLC, AND TRANSFER

CAN ONE PARTNER OF AN LLC, CREATE A SEPARATE LLC, AND TRANSFER THE ASSETS OF THE ORIGINAL LLC TO THE NEW LLC, WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE OTHER PARTNER. THE PARTNER WHO IS DOING THE TRANSFERING HAS 65% OWNERSHIP, AND THE SECOND PARTNER HAS 35%. LEGALLY?

bizlaw :

Each partner has a fiduciary duty to not only the LLC but also to the other partners. However, the LLC is treated, either as a partnership, which is what most LLCs are treated as, or a corporation. In either case, the actions your partner is taking is clearly illegal. In fact, under corporate law, he lacks sufficient votes on his own to sell all the assets of the business. Under no circumstances can it be done without fair compensation to the other owners. If he does not cease and reverse his actions you should sue him for yourself and on behalf of the LLC for breach of fiduciary duty.

If you need further help please do not rate 2 stars/faces "Helped a little" or 1 star/face "I expected more".This is considered a negative rating against me.

Just reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" or "REPLY" button with the questions you have as I receive no compensation for my efforts for the lowest two ratings.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it by giving a three stars/faces or higher . That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication