Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

Starting a new company in the state of Texas. Several of

Starting a new company in the state of Texas.

Several of our competitors use the business structure of: Association,

If we did the same? :

• Can the Business ever be sold for a profit?
• Would we have to share the books with members?
• Would salaries, etc. be public info and voted on?
• Is it possible to do this without a board of directors?

We are currently a C corp.

bizlaw :

Why would you want to operate as a non profit corporation?

bizlaw :

Also, if a non profit is competing with you that aspect of their business is taxed as unrelated business income so they get no advantage being a non profit with respect to that business.

Customer:

we

Really the only reason we have to is allows us some better options with some of the products we offer, as we or considered educational. other than that we don’t really want to

bizlaw :

What are the better options?

Customer:

one of the large company's that manages the curriculum we often use is non profit and seems to favor others

Customer:

non-profits that is

bizlaw :

Here is the answer to your original question. Once you become non profit, any increase in value can never be for the benefit of any individual or group of individuals. If the business were sold, the proceeds after payment of debt would either to other charities or to the Attorney General who would then distribute it to other charities. You would never receive any profit.

If you need further help please do not rate 2 stars/faces "Helped a little" or 1 star/face "I expected more".This is considered a negative rating against me.

Just reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" or "REPLY" button with the questions you have as I receive no compensation for my efforts for the lowest two ratings.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it by giving a three stars/faces or higher . That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication