MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements

Customer Question

Hi: I owed a company with my husband in 2003. We divorced in 2006 and he claimed that the company was bankrupt. I recently saw that the company had an article on it in 2008. It was about having a joint venture with a Canadian conglomerate. In 2009 there is another web page that tracks shipments of this company, specifically shipments coming from Singapore. After 2009 there is no information. I called the Daily News and they had no information either way whether the company was dissolved or not. In 2012, they are listed as an active company in PA. There are no dissolution papers of any kind. I am wondering if there any way to determine whether this company is up and running. The sec of state said that they could have quietly dissolved and just filed no papers therefore maintaining the active status with PA. Do you have any ideas for how to get to the bottom of this? Thank you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions.Is the company and LLC, LLP, S-corp, or C-corp?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot determine for certain but believe they are corp's. Is there a place I can get to on the web, where I can determine this. Sec of state just said corporation.

Also, he is supposed to tell him his gross income every year. Is it possible that he could have been the President as claims this article in 2008 and have made no money from his work at the company? It seems impossible to me but I'd like your opinion. TX

Yes, you can search the PA corporate records database here:|
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I am familiar with the site for the PA corps but they do not specify his companies as anything more than Corps. For instance it says, Starcom Paperworks Corp.

It does not say anything more than these are corporations so I am assuming they are corporations.

What would be the implication if these are indeed corps?

If stated as corps, they are indeed corporations. If corps he likely has issued shares, even if only to himself. The existence of shares would aide you valuing the corporation(s) and dividing such asset backed shares. Otherwise, for your purposes there really is no implication (assuming he has not issued shares to investors). IF he has, then the shareholders could seek to block you taking an interest in the company, claiming their rights and interest superior to yours as you have no involvement in the corporation or were aware of its active existence.

Elisa, I want you to be satisfied with your experience and my services, and am willing to continue out discussion to arrive at this end. However, in order to satisfy your expectations and questions, I need to know what questions you have that were not answered.