Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

hi I am going to have an agreement with web developer to develop

hi
I am going to have an agreement with web developer to develop a website- I will pay him in increments( milestones)
How do i protect myself if he has all the work to date and we have a falling out ?
Thanks
These contracts are difficult because of the fact the web designer has all of the code and work in their possession. The only thing you can do is write in the contract that he must turn over all work to you as it is completed and as you pay the milestone payments and failure to do so would be grounds for breach of contract. You would also have a clause in the contract to make any breaching party liable for all costs and attorney's fees in the event legal action has be filed for the breach. I am afraid this is the best you can do UNLESS you want to hire the designer on as an actual employee of your company and pay him hourly or salary and have him completely under your control along with his work and then you can have the work done directly on your own computer equipment to retain the work.

I am afraid these are really your only two alternatives in these cases for protection other than making sure you hire a reputable web designer with good references.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”