socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I am wondering if i can hire an employee with an itin number.

I am wondering if i can hire an employee with an itin number. This person has never had problems finding work and has been working most of his life. However i do not want to get into any trouble. So my question

can i hire him with a itin number
if i can how do i do taxes since he does not have a ssn thanks
Every prospective employee must be verified using the DHS I-9 verification form. However, it is actually unlawful to require an SSN as part of the verification process. Only the documents required by DHS can be used to verify an employee -- UNLESS the employer chooses to use the E-Verify system, in which case an SSN is required.

To comply with the manual verification requirements, see form M-274 Handbook for Employers.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your answer i can not understand all this lawyer and political talk i just want a yes or no answer is it safe to hire him if he just a itin. I know he does not have a ssn. He has good experience and i want to hire him. Can i just get a yes or no rather or not its legal to put him on the payroll under 1099 thanks also i reside int he state of texas. I have called around and no one can or will tell me anything without a fee thats why i am here instead of in someones office.

No, you cannot hire him with nothing more than an ITIN. The employee must provide the necessary verification documents, and fill out a Form I-9.

The required proof necessary to verify employment status is either one document from List A, or one document from List B, plus one document from List C. See below:

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks a million. I really do appreciate it alot. I will leave you excellent feedback and pay you as well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i hit great service is there something else i have to hit to pay you

You're good to go! Thanks and happy holidays.

No need to respond to this request for information. It's the only way I can communicate without the system trying to bill you again.