Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I recently purchase a vehicle in North Carolina. The puchase was made 30 th Nov 2012 at 6

Customer Question

I recently purchase a vehicle in North Carolina. The puchase was made 30 th Nov 2012 at 6 PM . I would like to return this vehicle preferably this Monday. I am completely dissatified.What recourse do I have if any ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Business litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Under the law, there is no legal right to return the vehicle and cancel the purchase. Many people believe that there's a 3 day buyer's remorse law for purchases, but that's not true.

Instead, in order to return the vehicle, the seller would have to agree to accept the vehicle back or you would likely have to sue and claim that the seller breached a warranty (express or implied) or that the seller misrepresented the vehicle's condition to you, that there were concealed defects that you were unaware of, etc. In this case, you would have a right to sue to cancel the contract and recover your money.

However, this won't happen short of filing a lawsuit and winning. Otherwise, there's no way out of the contract unless the seller simply agrees to agree to reverse/cancel the agreement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Kirk

Thank you. Not the answer I wanted to hear .

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
I certainly understand that. However, I want to be honest with you, even if the law is not favorable.

It is possible that the seller would take the vehicle back IF you were willing to buy some other one from the dealership. I represent several car dealers, and I've handled transactions like that many times.
Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Kirk Thanks again. Appreciate the efforts. I believe the money has benn charged to my credit card. Really feel helpless and pretty stupid

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
No problem - sorry the news isn't better.

It's worth speaking to the seller and seeing if he's agreeable to a swap.