RESPONDER9, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced attorney providing diverse business law advice.

I am a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist who is considering

Customer Question

I am a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist who is considering employment in the state of Arkansas. Included in my contract is a "CRNA Statement" that requires my signature. The first paragraph of this statement is as follows:

"I agree to be bound by all of the applicable terms and conditions of the Anesthesia Agreement and any amendments thereto that may be executed in the future, whether or not executed by me, with the same effect as if I had personally executed the Anesthesia Agreement or amendments".

Does this mean that they would have the ability to amend my contract at will (i.e. decrease my salary, benefits or make unreasonable demands) and that there would be little or nothing I could do but to abide by these new amendments? If so, Is this legally binding?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to I will attempt to answer your question. Reagrding the quoted language, this does mean that your potential employer may change the contract "at will." Arkansas is an at will employment state meaning an employee may be discharged for any legal reason. In my view, the entire contract may be interpreted as nothing more than you are an at will employee. If however, you obtained an attorney to negotiate terms(if allowed by employer), you will have more certainty and likley a binding agreement. There is nothing more I can say and hope you obtain counsel, and rate me positively. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-71kxpnnx- :

So my prospective employer could amend my salary by decreasing it to any amount and I would be obligated to carry out my duties for the duration of the contract?

JACUSTOMER-71kxpnnx- :

I was under the impression that I would be afforded follow-up questions; however, the response was quite close-ended.