Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

If I start a business that cuts and packages an existing material,

If I start a business that cuts and packages an existing material, what kind of business am i? I want to cut a particular fabric into smaller pieces and sell packages of them. what kind of agreement do i need to have with the original manufacturer? any?

bizlaw :

Are you just buying for example fabric that you cut into smaller sizes and repackage? Are you using the trademark of the manufacturer or copyrighted fabrics of any type?

Customer:

the product is moleskin. it's actually called kurotex these days. basically, i'm taking large bulk rolls of it, and cutting it into small pieces for use in the broadcast television industry - it's one of those handy on the job type uses.

bizlaw :

There is nothing that restricts your abiility to do as you propose. Once you purchase a product you are generally free to reuse it and sell it as you please. You fall into this category. You do not need any agreement with the manufacturer.

If you need further help please do not rate 2 stars/faces "Helped a little" or 1 star/face "I expected more".This is considered a negative rating against me.

Just reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" or "REPLY" button with the questions you have as I receive no compensation for my efforts for the lowest two ratings.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication

Customer:

what type of company does that make me?

bizlaw :

Are you asking what industrial classification you would fall into?

Customer:

i think so. manufacturer, fabricator, etc.

Customer:

that may be outside of your scope. i appreciate your help. i just wanna make sure i'm doing any thing shady. ;)

Customer:

thanks for your help.

bizlaw :

I do not know that much about your process but if you are cutting the material and making a new product then you could be considered a manufacturer.

Customer:

thanks again for your help. have a great night. ;)