WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced business lawyer.

I am a mortgage loan officer and want to remain compliant in

I am a mortgage loan officer and want to remain compliant in terms of protecting my clients privacy. My question is this: should ALL emails that I send and receive be encrypted, or only ones that mention account numbers, social security numbers and other sensitive information in either the email body or attachments. Example's containing both sensitive and non-sensitive below:

"According to a credit report I just pulled John your outstanding loan balance is $397,403"

"Thanks for applying for the mortgage John. I'll call you today with questions"

"According to your credit report your outstanding loan balance on account number XXXXXXXXXX is $4,206"
Category: Business Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.
You don't have to encrypt all emails but I would certainly protect the ones that have account numbers or balances with the best security software you can get.

. Good luck to you I wish you all the best
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience: Experienced business lawyer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the response.

So even if I said in an email (for example) "your Chase credit card xxxxxxxx4128 has a balance of $3,000" you still think it should be a SECURE email"? I ask because I don't believe that type of email puts the client at risk because it doesn't mention the full account number. Am I wrong?

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.
Most important it is to encrypt account numbers.

If you do that much you should be protected.

Still if you can get software to encrypt everything that would be best.

But it is certainly not required under California law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Do you know if Gramm Bleach Lilley or other federal acts would require ALL emails be protected?

Thanks,

Howard

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.
Fyi, the federal law is known as Gramm Leach Bliley and it does.protect consumers against phishing for personal information by financial institutions.

Please rate.the answer 3, 4 or 5 and close out the question. Thanks.
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. So which of the three example "emails" in my initial question above do you think would be OK under Gramm Leach Bliley?

Thanks again.