Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I have a small claims court date with a magistrate next week

I have a small claims court date with a magistrate next week to defend against a collection agency for a credit card account. For my defense I will state that they have not produced my signature on any account paperwork. They had some robosigner out in Minnesota state that she saw the original Citibank records and that the collection agency owns the debt. They will also claim that I didnt respond to their letter stating that if I believe the debt is not valid I have to contact them. Statute of limitation did not expire.

Is there any other defense you think I can use here. Thank you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You also need to make them produce an actual itemized statement proving the amount of the debt they are seeking to collect. Also, you need to challenge the robo signer and state that the affidavit is hearsay without any proof to support it and you are entitled to due process of being able to cross examine this person regarding what they claim to have seen and if they are not there to testify, the affidavit is hearsay because it cannot be cross examined as is your right.

The challenge of the contract and proof of the amount of the debt are really the only two arguments on these cases. Thus, if you can get the affidavit thrown out on hearsay and there is no proof of a contract this should be in your favor in the case.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Paul, thank you! You helped me with a pro se federal appeals case a few months back and now the briefs are filed and we are just waiting for the decision.

On this new case, you say they should produce an actual itemized statement. Would that be from the original lender? All I have seen are computer summary reports generated by the collection agency.

Sincerely,

Gene F

Yes, it should be an itemized statement showing the balance and any of the last charges to prove you made the charges. It should be from the creditor and not the collection agency and you would argue the report from the collection agency is hearsay.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.