WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced business lawyer.
62735101

is it illegal for a business to use a fake address on their

is it illegal for a business to use a fake address on their internet advertising?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 4 years ago.
It is only illegal if it is used in a deceptive way. For example, if it is used to defraud someone, or to avoid a customer from being able to contact the company with a complaint, etc. then it is illegal.

But if you say "Ralph's Clothing of Beverly Hills" for example, to enhance the rpestige of your company, that would not be illegal per se.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if a company advertises that their company is located at a certain address and even uses a google map to show where it is located and this address is not real this is not considered fraud.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 4 years ago.
If its done.with the intent to.cheat or defraud, its illegal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I not sure if it is considered fraud or not. He is using an address that is not real in order to present his company as having a real place, other than being run out of his home. When people call his business number and want to come by his office he gives them some type of excuse as to why they can not and he will go to them. He is running a real business, he just has no office, although he wants customers who look him up on the internet to think he has an office.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 4 years ago.
It's deceptive, but until somebody brings a claim for some loss or damage as a result of his using a fake address, there is no illegal act occurring.

The owner of the property could make a claim for failure to pay rent, or some customer could claim deception and a loss, but until that happens and there is some claim for a loss or damage, there will not be any legal claim against him.

Admittedly, it is a strange thing to do, especially since there are so many other inexpensive alternatives to make a virtual office, such as going to a UPS Store and purchasing a box number which enables you to use the street address as the business address.

If it really bothers you, you might look up the owner of the property, or write to them at the address, and report the misuse. The owner would have standing to request a change and demand that the business stop using that address.

That about sums it up. Time for you to please rate this answer a 3, 4 or 5 so that we can close out the question and I can get credit for the answer.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 4 years ago.
Please review the answer I have given you and rate it a 3, 4 or 5.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Just put my name---Wise Owl 58--- in the first line and I will get it and respond.

All the best.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 4 years ago.
Lisa:

All the best.