WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced business lawyer.
62735101

Hello - What are the legal and tax requirements for a US

Hello -

What are the legal and tax requirements for a US small business to directly hire a French citizen (who is living in France)? The French citizen would be hired as an employee of the small business to work in France at a US based company. The US based company is doing business in France but has contracted for a professional service with the small business. Is this possible? What are the steps or contacts that would need to be made to do this? How are taxes handled?

Thank you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am patient. Please find the right expert to help me. Thank you.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Regards,
Wendy
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 2 years ago.
You have to treat the employee as if he were an employee in the United States and comply with all of the IRS tax reporting and withholding requirements. It is the responsibility of your employee in France to provide you with documentation of any exemptions, if such apply to the employee.

The US takes the position that they have the ability to tax the individual first, on earnings from a US source (your company) and the French employee has the burden to show that it is not taxable. Your burden is to comply with all the US reporting and withholding requirements, unless and until that employee gives you certification that they are not subject to US withholding etc.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. So does that mean that I have no responsibilities to the France taxing authorities?

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 2 years ago.
Your employee would.be responsible for.reporting.to.the French tax authorities, not your US company. It is.also.covered by tax treaty, so an.exemption would.apply.
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience: Experienced business lawyer.