Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Hi Paul, If I want to convey a sculpture but retain all copyright,

Hi Paul,
If I want to convey a sculpture but retain all copyright, how do I phrase that in a contract? What is their ownership called? Also, where do I find infomration about typical royalties associated with commercial usage of the sculpture? Images of this work will likely be sold on pictures and t-shirts. It is also possible that miniature replicas will be sold.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
In the contract of sale, you would state, "seller/artist retains all copyrights to the sculptured work, including the rights to any derivative works made from the sculpture including but not limited to photographic representations or replicas of the work. Buyer agrees that they may not make any use or derivative use of the work without express written consent of the seller/artist." You also need to state that "any derivative works require written consent of the artist and royalties or payments for that use will be negotiated under a separate written agreement."

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That was a GREAT answer, very clear and succinct! Thank you.

Where can I find some typical royalty rates for such derivative works?

Thank you. The problem with royalty rates on this type of thing you would have to check with the different art societies, since they vary based on the type of works and the type of derivative work that is being made. Typically, it depends on how many derivative works will be sold and royalties can run from 20% or so for very few works to be sold down to 1% for a very large number of works to be sold.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I describe their ownership upon payment in full - for example, I get 3 partial payments during the sculpture process and at the end they own the work but I retain the copyright and will be receiving future royalties. I'm reluctant to say "final payment" or "payment in full" when I'm anticipating future royalty payments. What's the best way to word this?

They own the rights to display and possess the sculpture only. You would state that upon receipt of payment for the sculpture in full (you can say that) you retain all copyright rights as I said above. That is fine.