Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Forming a new nonprofit in California. It will be a hacker/workspace

Forming a new nonprofit in California. It will be a hacker/workspace with members. What are we legal allowed to require for membership. We will have many assets at risk due to 24/7 access to workspace. I was thinking name/physical address/CDL/emergency contact other than home. Can we also require a credit/background check? (we probably won't as we wouldn't get as many members, even if they didn't have anything to hide)
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

please continue, we will be working on this problem for a couple weeks : ) thank you

Hi Danielle,

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you
Actually, legally you can do a background check up to 7 years back and you can at least do a criminal records check on members. There is no law preventing you from requesting their SSN for the purpose of the records check and you should also request a copy of their state or government issued identification to protect yourself and your site given the open nature of the site.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.