Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

I am thinking about taking a position for a car dealership

I am thinking about taking a position for a car dealership in CA, to go to Porsche Dealerships in PA, register the car in my name in PA, but have the car titled to a company in NH. NH has no sales tax. The company in California said to get a bill of sale, fax it to them, and the entire amount of the cost of the car wil be wired to the car dealership the next day. I drive the car off the lot and take it to long term parking in PHL airport. I fedex the keys and the paperwork to the company in CA and they wil have someone pick it up and drive it to CA. From there, the car may be sold in CA or it may be exported to Russia.

For this, I get $500 sent to my Pay Pal acount. If I buy four cars a month, it is an extra $2000 for my family.

My questions are, is this legal, and if so, by registering the car in my name, can I get into any trouble with the state? Will I be liable for anything? They tell me no, and if the car is titled in the name of this busines in NH (it actualy does exist), I wil not be responsible or liable for anything. They also said that the dealership may want me to sign a Non Export Agreement. I told them I would not, and they said to just sign the name of the company in NH who wil be buying the car, and who wil be on the title of the car.

It seems like a good way to make some extra money, but I don't want to do anything illegal, or have something come back to me that I owe for the car or owe for anything.

I hope this is understandable. I just wanna be sure.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I happen to be a Pennsylvania licensed professional and will do my best to assist you with your concerns.

So just to be clear, you are being asked to be the 'strawman', purchase the vehicles for cash, drop them off, and have someone else pick them up?

What is the name of the NH business and have you looked them up yet to see if they are valid? I will be honest and state that this appears very questionable, so please permit me to do some research and give you an honest answer once I get more data from you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've never heard the term "strawman" before. They want me to go into the dealership after making sure the car is still in stock. They want me to appear wealthy enough to be able to buy a $66K Porsche, test drive, go for discounts, say I will buy the car, and then tell them it will be financed by my company in NH. This may raise a red flag, because there is no tax in NH.

They want me to register the car in my name, in PA, but the NH company will buy the car, and be on the title. The dealership may decide not to sell me the car, or if I am convincing enough,they may sell it to me under the name of Advanced Biotechnologies. This company will agree to wire the entire cost of the automobile to the dealership (or send a certified check). That is when I pick up the car and send of the keys. I looked up this company...they have a half-hearted unfinished website at www.adv-biotech.com in Manchester, NH. XXX-XXX-XXXX.

The man I am to be working for is an Alexander Goldshtadt and he owns Luxury Auto Mall at 453 Van Nys Blvd., in Sherman Oaks, CA.

i signed an agreement that states "in case the Non-Export Agreement is breached, the Luxury Auto Mall will pay alldamages, even if my name is XXXXX XXXXX Non Export Agreement."He told me he has been doing this for 5 years and buys about 25 cars a month using people like myself, all over the country. He says he has never ben sued.

I hope this is enough information for you.

Thank you for your question.

Run, do not walk away. If the vehicle is under your name, and the vehicle is later transported somewhere else, you remain responsible for this vehicle, and what's more important, you personally remain liable (possibly even criminally liable) if this vehicle is going to be shipped to a different country while listed under your name. Further, upon doing a search in New Hampshire for this company's name, I found no match. Here is the link so you can duplicate the work for yourself:

https://www.sos.nh.gov/corporate/soskb/csearch.asp

It appears that this person is attempting to get around having no dealer license and attempts to use people like you to get around shipping laws also. Remember that places you at risk, not him, and therefore this is likely not a very wise option. Otherwise he would simply be doing this himself, for himself.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Run my own successful business/contract law practice.