Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

Im part of an S Corp in California. There are two principals,

I'm part of an S Corp in California. There are two principals, myself and my partner whom resides in Hong Kong and is never in the US. Therefore I sign all papers.

Our company just received an additional invoice from Customs Border and Protection for $49,xxx. Our company does not have the money to pay this. The surety bond is for $50,000. When the surety bond company pays out on behalf of our company, can they come after my personal assets as principal? I plan on dissolving the company. The bond / indemnity was for our company but I signed on behalf as president.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. As long as you did not personally guaranty this bond, but simply signed on behalf of the president, you have no personal liability and the bonding company can only look to the assets of the corporation, if any, for repayment. You have no personal liability for the debts and liabilities of the corporation.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
seems
more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information
and not
specific advice.
If you
have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between
your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or
taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does this mean I personally guaranteed this bond as owner of the corporation?

Revsied: C Corp.

Below is part of the Bond and Indemnity form. All owners must sign as Indemnitor which I did.

In consideration of executing the Bond(s) applied for by Applicant, the Undersigned, now referred to as Indemnitor(s), acknowledge(s) that the above Indemnity Agreement has been read
and the Indemnitor(s) is (are) aware of the contents of the Indemnity Agreement. The Indemnitors(s) agree(s) to be bound by the Indemnity Agreement to the same extent as the Applicant.
The obligation imposes individual liability on the Indemnitor(s) as well as joint liability with the Applicant. The Indemnitor(s) has(have) sufficient interest in the performance of this
obligation to execute this agreement and is (are) fully empowered to exercise this agreement.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Did you sign the indemnitor in your individual capacity as an owner?

Just so you know, if I don't get right back to you, I may be taking my evening break. But, I will get back to you as soon as possible upon my return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I understand your question right, yes, I signed it as an individual capacity as an owner.

Below is a common application given to all importers, which I signed as owner. Given the wording on this application, can they hold me personally responsible?

http://www.phoenixintl.com/files/documents/Phoenix%20C1%20Bond%20Application.pdf

Thank you for your time.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, this is going to be considered a personal guaranty and each owner will have personal liability. I'm sorry!
Richard, Attorney
Experience: 32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.