John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney helping businesses achieve their legal and practical goals.
71296933

Our company is planning to charge employees who use tobacco

Our company is planning to charge employees who use tobacco products a $50.00 per month surcharge over their health insurance costs. It is a new agency policy, not an insurance issue. Is this considered discriminatory?

EmplmntLaw1 :

Being a smoker is not a protected class of of persons. Thus this type of program cannot be ruled discriminatory. The DOL regulations state that such charges cannot be more than a 20% premium over non-smokers. Also such a wellness program (as they are called) must provide an alternative standard to qualify for the lower premium (such as smoking cessation classes or the nicotine patch).

EmplmntLaw1 :

If you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our chat. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to build my expert ranking. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.