Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

Our firm had a contract with a Connecticut-based publisher

Our firm had a contract with a Connecticut-based publisher for the last 13 years and started a large and continuing contract sale for them with a customer in 2009. Due to funding issues, it was not closed then, except with smaller purchases by some of the customer's principals. It took until July of 2012 for them to finance their intended first major purchase. However, in the meantime, the publisher gave our territory to the VP Sale's daughter-in-law instead of renewing our contract at the beginning of 2012. We were not paid any commission for our efforts on major part of this sale. It was valued at about $1,000,000 and our commission would have be 15% of that or $150,000. Do we have any rights to claim for part or all of that money in the state of Connecticut?

Al Dodge
You can argue that you should be paid on the basis of quantum meruit (I worked therefore I should be paid) in addition to under the contract. If you did substantial work to get the order closed and it was essentially finished except for something out of your hands you should be able to recover.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.