Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Paul: We are in Baltimore County, MD. We had to terminate an

Paul: We are in Baltimore County, MD. We had to terminate an employee in August for cause. She was denied all unemployment benefits last week. This week, we discovered that our voice mail system was accessed and changed to indicate an email for callers to use for one of the old companies for which we (you and I) had legal online discussions about. It is our belief that by so doing, it was her intent to tie a defunct company with our non related company together, and thus assist the previous plaintiff to tie all companies together. In addition, caller ID showed that the Atty who represented the plaintiff had called in (without leaving a message and would have heard the false message).We changed the password XXXXX night and corrected the message but here is my question.

Can that Atty use the false message to try to tie all companies together? I assume he would have a HARD time based upon one message. Am I correct? Also, we are waiting for Verizon to get back to us to get a history of all changes to the voice mail system. If we are able to prove that the previous employee accessed the system which would affect our company, could that be considered a crime in Baltimore County? Thanks
You have a right to sue her if you can prove she made unauthorized access to your system, it is not likely a DA will prosecute this for unauthorized computer access but you can present it to them, they will likely tell you it is a civil matter (but you never know with some DAs). As far as connecting you to the other companies, no, someone making an unauthorized and false change to an answering machine would not be admissible, even if it were, you have actual proof that there re no connections.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”