Legalinfomd, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 24 years of experience in business law.

If I have an LLC in California and live in Maryland, can I

Customer Question

If I have an LLC in California and live in Maryland, can I still use that LLC for business if it's Internet based?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Legalinfomd replied 4 years ago.

Legalinfomd :

Hello. I will respond to your question.

Legalinfomd :

You may conduct business under the California LLC. However, if you maintain your principal office in Maryland, you should file with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation an application to qualify the California LLC as a foreign entity authorized to conduct business in Maryland. Otherwise, the LLC will be precluded from bringing suit in Maryland Courts in the event that the need ever arises.

Legalinfomd :

If there is no particular reason to have your LLC be domesticated in California, it may be easier to just form a new Maryland entity, rather than maintaining a California entity that is qualified to do business in Maryland (fewer annual filings, etc.).

JACUSTOMER-ynojkfbe- : Even if its an Internet Business? This could be worldwide as I delivery digital products and services via sales online.
Legalinfomd :

That is why you can conduct business under the California LLC. You need not do anything additional, unless you want to be able to sue in Maryland if the need arises.

Legalinfomd :

I hope that this information has been useful. Please be sure to leave a positive rating for my response so that I will be compensated for my time. Thank you and good luck with your business.

Legalinfomd :

Hello. I have not been compensated for answering your question because you did not rate and accept my answer. I would greatly appreciate it if you would take a moment to select a positive rating for my response so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank you.