Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

I have a lease contract for a wireless credit card terminal

I have a lease contract for a wireless credit card terminal that I no longer need because of a business closure. The lease company will not let me out of the lease even if I return the machine and am willing to pay a fine. They said I am still obligated to pay the remaining lease payments (29 mo's) or find someone to take over the payments. I just want to be done with this. Can anyone help me?
.
Unfortunately a lease is a binding legal contract that either party can enforce in the event of a default. So unless there is some type of provision in the lease that allows you to pay some type of up front payment as a buy out clause, then you are stuck with it. The fact that your business has closed is not legally relevant to enforceability of the lease contract.
.
But if you return the machine, the lessor has a duty to try and lease it again to someone else to mitigate their damages. The reality of it is that it is unlikely that they will do so and it would be virtually impossible to prove that they didn't try to lease it to someone else.
.
So if you can't get someone to find someone to take it over, and you don't continue making the payments, then they will be able to sue you for any remaining balance and report the delinquent payments on your credit report each month.
.
The only way to get the obligation extinguished would be to file bankruptcy, but then that would kill your credit rating worse than the late payments.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.