Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

We laid off an employee. And the employee filed unemployment

We laid off an employee. And the employee filed unemployment benefit. What do we need to pay for it? We received an notice from Arizona Dept of Economic Security Unemployment Insurance Program. There is an item potential charges: $3340. What is it?
The way unemployment works is that you pay unemployment taxes based on each employee you have working for you. The accounting notice is not a bill, it is notice to you of the charges against your unemployment account, which is based on what the employee is drawing in benefits. Your unemployment taxes that you have been paying on the employees is where this money comes from and it is not a bill you have to pay, they are just telling you the person applied for unemployment, you have the right to challenge their benefits and this is the quarterly amount potential that will come from your unemployment account of what you have been paying in taxes.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So $3340 will be the quarterly charge to our unemployment account. how many quarters will this charge continue? total 4 quarters or permanently?

Depends on whether the employee qualifies for 13 or 26 weeks, they should not likely qualify for more than that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you. do you have document review service? if you have, I may ask another question. how much the charge? we will sign a trademark settlement agreement (4-5 pages). Before we sign it, we would like some 3rd party to review to see if there is potential issue.

It is tough for us to review documents unless you can upload them to this forum as we cannot communicate via email or fax to receive documents. As far as the cost, this is up to the customer as experts are not allowed to suggest prices to customers by the terms of this service. However, we do and can review documents under these terms as long as you also tell us your specific concerns as well.