Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

I was sued in small claims court (CA). I countersued. The

I was sued in small claims court (CA). I countersued. The case against me was dismissed and the judge ruled in my favor in the countersuit. The plaintiff appealed the countersuit decision. My questions are: 1. Do I have to appear at the hearing for the appeal? (the plaintiff has no basis for his appeal) and will the appeal be granted just because I don't show up. 2. If I do appear do I have to bring my evidence again or will the Court have the evidence that I already brought when the case was heard.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
1. Do I have to appear at the hearing for the appeal? (the plaintiff has no basis for his appeal) and will the appeal be granted just because I don't show up.

The "appeal" is a trial de novo which means a completely new trial. If you don't show up to pursue your claim then you lose.

2. If I do appear do I have to bring my evidence again or will the Court have the evidence that I already brought when the case was heard.

Bring your evidence again. Sometimes the court will have the evidence you submitted but sometimes they don't and you don't want to assume it is there and then find out it has been lost in the shuffle.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.