Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.
It is a simple one page service contract. The other party Red Blossom wants to get out of the contract in the final year. There is a specific amount ("minimum") written in for one location (Santa Maria). However the other location (Salinas) does not have a minimum written in the contract. Red Blossom does not want to pay anything for canceling contract in Salinas just the minimum in Santa Maria. My main question is do we have a good claim for getting money for the Salinas portion of contract and what will it be based on (Revenue, net income, gross income)? When should the penalty be due (when the contract is cancelled by Red Blossom in December of 2012 or when the original contract is suppose to end in December of 2013) Pasted Below..
Red Blossom Sales, Inc (“Red Blossom”) shall engage the services of Golden State Ag, LLC (“Golden State Ag”) for the production of carton make-up. This letter agreement sets forth the terms on which Golden State Ag will provide services to Red Blossom. The list of services and terms set forth may be amended in writing by mutual agreement of the parties from time to time.
1. General Description - Golden State Ag will provide strawberry carton make-up services for Red Blossom in Santa Maria, CA and Salinas, CA. Services shall include but not limited to: (a) Warehousing of KD, finished cartons, clamshells, and other items necessary for strawberry harvest. (b) Manufacture cartons from KD to finished cartons ready to accept product. (c) Distribution of cartons, clamshells, and other items to farmers. (d) Inventory reporting. (e) Other duties that are deemed essential and agreed upon by both parties.
2. Terms - The Term of this Agreement shall begin on January 1, 2011 and continue until December 31, 2013.
3. Compensation/Billing - Golden State Ag will bill Red Blossom $0.16. per carton distributed in Santa Maria, CA and $0.13 per carton distributed in Salinas, CA. Finished Cartons transferred out at the end of the year to a non Golden State Ag shall be billed to Red Blossom. Golden State Ag will bill weekly every Monday. Terms to be set at Net 10.
4. Materials - Golden State Ag shall provide and maintain: forklifts, trash/material removal, bailer, raw materials for carton make-up, and any other unnamed materials necessary for carton make-up.
5. Equipment/Machines - Golden State Ag and Red Blossom shall be responsible for securing necessary and appropriate carton make equipment as well as the air compressors necessary for efficient operation.
6. Inventory Reporting - Golden State Ag will be responsible for providing daily inventory reports to Red Blossom at each location.
7. Facilities - Golden State Ag will be responsible for securing proper facility in Santa Maria, CA and be responsible for all the costs involved. Golden State Ag will continue carton services at the SEMCO Cooling facility in Salinas, CA. Red Blossom will be responsible for payment of Salinas, CA facility.
8. Termination - This agreement shall continue through the end of the agreed upon term. Parties may initiate renegotiation of terms and extension of services at the end of each calendar year and may be amended in writing at that time.
9. Minimum - Red Blossom commits to a carton volume of 3.5 million per year in Santa Maria, CA for the next three years. Red Blossom agrees to pay Golden State Ag $.04 per carton for any shortfall in volume.
10. This agreement shall be effective when signed below or in counterpart, and photocopy, facsimile, electronic or other copies shall have the same effect for all purposes as an ink-signed original.
I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.
If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.
Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.
PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.
There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.
You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).