Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, bankruptcy, real estate law and estates.
63724254

I am looking into starting a retail shop, with a soap and lotion

Customer Question

I am looking into starting a retail shop, with a soap and lotion making area in the back. It will not be accessible to customers, and product will be made only during non-retail hours. Soap making include working with sodium hydroxide/lye, which has special handling requirements. This is in a small town in Michigan. I am trying to determine what laws and agencies I need to consider to determine handling, storage, etc.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

Attorney2020 :

First, you should go to the Michigan Secretary of State's website and see which type of business licenses that you need in order to be in compliance with state laws.

Once on the website, go to Agencies, Bureaus and Commissions within the Licensing and Regulatory Affairs section on that website. Click on the Licensing Division and you can search for the licenses that you are required to obtain through the MI Business One Stop link. From that link, click on License Search to determine which license is most appropriate for your desired business.

Lastly, I would consult an attorney in your town to discuss liability issues and which business entity would be most appropriate for your new business.

NOTICE: Nothing in this message should be interpreted as a digital or electronic signature that can be used to form, execute, document, agree to, enter into, accept or authenticate a contract or legal document unless otherwise expressly stated herein. This message and any attached documents contain information from the sender that may be confidential and/or privileged in nature. This message and any attached documents are intended only for the use of the intended recipient and any applicable privileges are not waived by virtue of this having been sent by e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not save, read, copy, distribute, or use this information in any way or for any purpose. If you have received this transmission but are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then permanently delete this message and any attached document.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: United States Department of Treasury Regulation Circular 230 requires that I notify you that, with respect to Federal Tax penalties only, unless expressly stated otherwise above, (1) You can not rely on this advice for protection against Federal tax; (2) nothing contained in this message was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalty under the Internal Revenue Code; and (3) nothing contained in this message may be relied on to support the promotion or marketing of any Federal tax transaction or matter that may be subject to Federal tax penalties. Any taxpayer may seek advice based on the taxpayer’s particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor with respect to any Federal tax transaction or matter contained in this message as it relates to Federal tax penalties.