WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced business lawyer.

One of my partners wrote a check that did not clear his bank.

One of my partners wrote a check that did not clear his bank. Instead of the person the check was written to contacting our company. He sent a copy of the check to over 400 people. What recourse do we have if any.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.
A slightly different twist to this question.

Under these circumstances, Larry, I would suggest that you find out who the 400 people are and send a letter to them to "set the record straight."

If the check did not clear, I would frame it to your customers and contacts as "look, anybody can make a mistake" and we did. Here's what happened. Say that instead of just coming to you and letting you know what happened, in which case you would have given him a valid replacement check, he made a big deal about it and bothered all of you with the letter.

If you come clean in a situation like this, your customers probably won't care. Most of us have made a "mistake" and bounced a check or two at some point during our lives. The banks depend on it for a strong revenue stream.

He will look bad for making a big deal out of this.

Good luck, Larry. I think you will come out looking like the better party if you just come clean and admit a mistake. Make sure you send him a replacement check so you can say in your letter that you did so.

If you don't have the addresses of the 400, just take out a small ad and make a "public service announcement."

Good luck.
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience: Experienced business lawyer.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Larry:

Please review the answer I have given you and rate it a 3, 4 or 5.

If you need anything else for this answer, please hit the reply button.

Please let me know if I can help you with any other questions. Just put my name WiseOwl 58-- in the first line and I will get it and answer right away.

All the best to you.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.
Dear XXXXX:

All the best to you.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

All the best to you.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

All the best to you.
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

All the best to you.