WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced business lawyer.
62735101

I had a check that did not clear. Now the payee is sending

I had a check that did not clear. Now the payee is sending the check around to any and everyone stating bad things about my business
You, or a lawyer, should write him a "cease and desist" letter, stating that he must stop sending the check around and saying bad things about your business.

You should include in the letter that you intend to hold him liable for defamation and libel for saying untrue things that are causing financial harm to your business.

You might also consider requiring him to send a retraction to all persons who received a notice from him, stating that the communication was sent in error and is not true.

You could also send a retraction of your own, if you can identify who received the communication from him. In the retraction you would say that the truth is that he passed a bad check to your business.

You cannot be held liable for anything if what you are saying is the truth. Truth is the greatest defense to defamation.

He can be held liable, however, if what he is saying about your business is untrue.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Dear Larry:

Thank you very much. Please let me know if you have any more questions or if anything else comes up as you deal with the individual who wrote the defamatory letter about your business.

Please feel free to call on me at any time. Just put my name--WiseOwl 58--in the first line and I will get it and answer right away.