floridagirl11
floridagirl11, Attorney
Experience:  Business Law Attorney

Does California Penal code 653 or any other law prohibit the

Does California Penal code 653 or any other law prohibit the importation or sale of mammoth ivory (from the extinct mammoth) moose antler, or products made from cow bone
Category: Business Law
Expert:  floridagirl11 replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.

No, the law does not prohibit selling any of the parts of the animals you mentioned. And while CA Penal Code 653 deals with tattoos of a minor, 6350 does deal with the commercial sale of animals parts. It states as follows:

CAL. PEN. CODE § 653o :
(a)It is unlawful to import into this state for commercial purposes, to possess with intent to sell, or to sell within the state, the dead body, or any part or product thereof, of any polar bear, leopard, ocelot, tiger, cheetah, jaguar, sable antelope, wolf (Canis lupus), zebra, whale, cobra, python, sea turtle, colobus monkey, kangaroo, vicuna, sea otter, free-roaming feral horse, dolphin or porpoise (Delphinidae), Spanish lynx, or elephant.

(b)Commencing January 1, 2010, it shall be unlawful to import into this state for commercial purposes, to possess with intent to sell, or to sell within the state, the dead body, or any part or product thereof, of any crocodile or alligator.

(c)Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000) and not to exceed five thousand dollars ($5,000) or imprisonment in the county jail not to exceed six months, or both the fine and imprisonment, for each violation.

(d)The prohibitions against importation for commercial purposes, possession with intent to sell, and sale of the species listed in this section are severable. A finding of the invalidity of any one or more prohibitions shall not affect the validity of any remaining prohibitions.

(e)This section shall become operative on January 1, 2011.

There are no other laws that would prohibit the sale of parts from the animals you mentioned obviously, you would have to have a business license and comply with all the local rules and ordinances, but as far as whether people are allowed to sell what you have mentioned, the answer is yes.

If you have any further questions about this, I am of course more than happy to keep assisting you. If not, please consider leaving me an excellent service rating as the rating system determines our employ with the site. If you need anything further at all, please reply before you consider a negative rating. Thank you!
floridagirl11, Attorney
Experience: Business Law Attorney