Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

If i want to incoraporate as a non-profit in PA does it start

If i want to incoraporate as a non-profit in PA does it start with Incorporation at state level the same as a for profit company?
Yes, the non-profit formation begins with forming a corporate entity in the state where you would be located. Once you file for corporate status with the state/commonwealth, then your next step is to obtain a tax ID number from the IRS and file the 501(c)(3) forms with a copy of your bylaws and articles of organization showing your charitable purpose for approval by the IRS. You must file your non-profit application with the iRS within one year of formation of the corporation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you.
If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.
Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.
PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.
There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.
You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have recieved an ID number from the IRS and are just about to file for our 501c3, my confusion is that in reviewing our inforporation papers from the state the form is entitled

Articles of Incorporation-For Profit

So that will change when we apply and receive our 501c3 status?

You need to change the title of that form and it should be "Articles of Incorporation for Non-Profit" and it is supposed to state your charitable purpose in there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK...this form is from the state of PA and our incorporation papers have been accepted, can we resubmit them to the state or will we have to start over?

You need to file "Amended Articles of a Non-Profit" and you need to file that with the state at the same time as you file for your non-profit with the IRS. You do not need to start over from scratch.