Franklin, Attorney
Experience:  Clients consistently recommend my excellent service.

Customer Question

I am in NEVDA. I OWN A MERCHANT SERVICE COMPANY. IN APRIL there is a NEW LAW going into affect that merchants must have a machine to handle EMV which is a new chip that will be in everyones credit card. I want to go around to merchants as a merchant investagator and also carry a badge that states I am a merchant service investagator. Is that legal?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Franklin replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Franklin, an U.S. immigration and business attorney, and I'll be happy to assist you today.

You are certainly free to go around to merchants as a merchant investigator and recommend services. However, you cannot carry a badge or pass yourself off as an official government inspector or give the impression that if the business does not comply with your recommendations that they will be in violation of the law. You can inform merchants of the new law, however.

Carrying a badge and passing yourself off as a government inspector or enforcement agent is considered impersonating a government employee, which is a felony in almost all state. There's a fine line between good sales techniques and fraud, but at no time should you give your customers the impression that you must comply with the new rules using your products, or even give you access to their property, because you may be hit with several civil suits, such as trespass or false imprisonment, in addition to criminal prosecution by Nevada.

I hope my answer was helpful to you today. Please take a moment to rate my service, not the outcome. If you need more info, let's continue this conversation. I spend a lot of time crafting a good answer for you, and depend on positive ratings to continue, so thank you in advance for your support.

And please leave a bonus! I’m not paid a salary, so it is much appreciated.