kattorney
kattorney, Attorney
Experience:  16 years experience with a concentration in business, corporate and contracts law
50298765

my girl friend has not paid the storage bill for 8 months and

my girl friend has not paid the storage bill for 8 months and the storage place has not started lien. are the on a time chart to at least start one?

Kathie Russell :

There is no single answer to your question, but you are most likely on track to have a lien started.

Kathie Russell :

The reason there is no single answer is that every storage place operates differently - some will place a lien after as little as 2 or 3 missed payments, while some may wait a year.

Kathie Russell :

Your best bet is to make up the payments any way you can - send your payment every month with some extra payment - and if you do this, they will likely not start the lien since they will see you are catching up.

Customer:

it will be in there storage agreement then correct

Kathie Russell :

It probably will not. They may have some time period in there, but likely it will just give them the right to place the lien after any payments are missed. The fact is that every storage facility files the liens at different time periods.

Customer:

thank you

Kathie Russell :

You are very welcome, and best of luck to you.