Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

Can a chairperson of a non-profit corp. be out of order

Customer Question

Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

You mean at a meeting? Absolutely! By being 'out of order', that means that a speaking is speaking outside the scope of the proceedings, essentially by not speaking about the merits of the topic. If someone points it out, then the speaking is out of order (which could be the chairperson, it is just hard to claim that the chairperson who runs the meeting is actually wrong). For example if a meeting is about additional expenditures and the chairperson begins discussing human resources within the same topic, that is technically being 'out of order' pertaining to the topic at hand. You can politely nudge the chair by raising your hand, stating 'Point of Order', and explaining that the topic is out of scope.

Good luck.

I see that you rated my answer as 'bad'. May I ask why? What specifically did I fail to address?