lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.

My question is if i am a texas based trucking co and i also

My question is if i am a texas based trucking co and i also am based in n.m. do i need a tx dot number. I have aporctioned tag fron texas good for tx and nm. Ialso have a valid and current us dot number. Can you please. Help.
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

If you operate interstate then you do not have to have a Texas DOT number. However, you do have to register with the UCR. The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Program requires all motor carriers, brokers, freight forwarders and leasing companies who operate in interstate or international commerce to register their business and pay an annual fee based on the size of the fleet. UCR registration e-mails and postcards for Texas based and Mexican carriers were sent in October 2011. Completed applications were due to our office by Jan. 1, 2012, to ensure processing by the Feb. 1, 2012, enforcement date. If you have not sent your application, you should do so immediately.

You can register online at

This is just another tax that they have come up with as if you did not have enough regulations and fees now. Glad I am now out of the trucking business.