Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

I am changing careers and closing my electrical business. I still need to get paid by two

I am changing careers and closing my electrical business. I still need to get paid by two contractors. Contractor A owes aprox $6000 and does not dispute this but has not paid in the past 18 months. Contractor B still owes apron $20000 but is disputing this. What steps should I take to get paid.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. If this were me, I would file suit against the contractors to solidify my position against them. Once the suit is filed and a
judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor and can have the sheriff serve
a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing
party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath
about the losing party's assets. After that
information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to garnish wages, attach bank
accounts, and/or have the sheriff seize other
property to satisfy the judgment.

I hope this has given you information that has been
helpful to you. If the information seems more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please remember that
there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because
I may be helping others or taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Experience: 32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that

I just have a few follow ups

How do I file suit

Find a good attorney

How much will it cost

Will I have to go to court or can my attorney take my place

How long can I expect this will take

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
,

Thanks for that

I just have a few follow ups

How do I file suit

Find a good attorney

How much will it cost

How long can I expect this will take

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I have addressed each of your questions below in bold, underlined, italicized text....

How do I file suit...Because the amounts are in excess of the small claim court limits, you will need to file these in state district court. Although you could do this on your own, you would be well advised to have an attorney file the complaints for you.

Find a good attorney Either the Massachusetts State Bar Association or your nearest law school would be excellent sources of referrals. I would recommend the latter for a recent graduate. These are not complicated cases and thus you don't need a really experienced lawyer who will carry a high billing rate.

How much will it cost You should be able go get these cases filed and handled for a couple thousand dollars.

Will I have to go to court or can my attorney take my place Yes, if the defendants don't pay you before the hearing, you will need to appear at the hearing.

How long can I expect this will take I can't say for sure because it will depend upon the court's docket, but you should be able to get these resolved within a month.