Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

EST I live in a one family two story house. My house

EST

I live in a one family two story house. My house is the first on the block. On the avenue ( the street and the avenue are at 90 degree to each other) there are nine attached one story commercial buildings. There is a five feet distance between the side of my house and the backs of all these buildings.

Recently the French cleaner and two restaurants installed powerful commercial fans (starting from 30” diameter) on the back side of their building. It's much cheaper then install them on
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 2 years ago.

bizlaw :

You did not finish the question you had. Please complete it so I can help you.

Customer:

Recently the French cleaner and two restaurants installed powerful commercial fans (starting from 30” diameter) on the back side of their building. It's much cheaper then install them on the roof. These fans are constantly blowing nasty polluted air at my house, and when the windows are open it even goes inside.

According to the Brooklyn NY code is there any regulations on commercial buildings regarding air pollution discharge?

Especially when the next door neighbor is a residential building which is two-times taller?

bizlaw :

Do you know if they obtained the necessary building permits to do the installation?

Customer:
I want to resolve my problem without the involvement of building department.
Customer:

bizlaw :

These issues are all governed by the building code. When there is a major installation of a mechanical ventilation system, there must be a permit obtained and a building inspector makes sure that it is installed in a manner to avoid issues about which you complain. If the builder did not obtain the necessary permits or have the necessary approvals that involves the building the department. If you want to challenge how the vents were installed that will also involve a challenge to the approval of the building department. I do not see how you plan to "resolve" this without the departments involvement.

Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience: 30 years of corporate, litigation and international law