Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience corps, LLC's and partnerships; preparation, negotiation of complex contracts and business agreements
20355756

Is a license needed to be both a herbalist and homeopathic

Is a license needed to be both a herbalist and homeopathic doctor (physician) in Illinois? I tried to find information on this, but was unable. Are there education and training requirements if there are license requirements?

Hello there --

-

Apparently, there are 16 states and Canadian provinces where a person can be licensed and practice as a homeopathic physician. At this point, Illinois is NOT one of those states, although there is legislation pending on this matter. The Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges is the agency to contact regarding such licensing and practice -- they are setting the standards for each state. Here is a link to their website for more information and there is specific info on the states where such legislation is pending -- scroll down underneath the doctor photo on the left side of the first page of this site: http://www.aanmc.org/careers/naturopathic-doctor-licensure.php

-

I hope that helps. I notice that you have many answered and open questions and have not yet accepted/rated any of those questions. You are on a subscription plan which means that you will not be charged individually for each question and you can rate the answer underneath each answer given by an expert and you will not be charged any additional money for doing so -- no matter how many times that you do it within your subscription plan -- and because the non rated questions appear to experts such as myself, you are going to get to a point where none of the experts will want to answer your questions because we are paid NOTHING for assisting you unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below because that is what acts as the trigger for Just Answer to pay the expert for their time. I just thought I would let you know this in case you are uncertain of how the website works.

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so that I will be paid. I am paid NOTHING unless you press the 3rd button or 4th button or 5th button below -- if you are a subscription customer, doing this will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU !!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If Illinois is not a state that license herbalist and homeopathic doctors, does that mean I cannot practice as a herbalist and homeopathic doctor? Can I practice as a herbalist and homeopathic doctor now and become licensed if Illinois license herbalist and homepathic doctors in the future? Also, is there a market for herbalist and homepathic doctors in Chicago, Illinois?

Thank you for your help.

Hello again --

-

You are permitted to practice as an herbalist and homeopathic practitioner in Illinois until they change the laws and require licenses -- at which point you will have to apply for a license and meet the minimum education and practice requirements to get that license and if you do not, then you will have to stop practicing in Illinois at that time. However, for now, you are safe doing this -- but you should probably not call yourself a doctor -- many such practitioners simply call themselves practitioners. Here is the latest information in Illinois on the subject: http://www.ilanp.org/licensure.html

-

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I really DO appreciate it ! THANK YOU !