WiseOwl58, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced business lawyer.

I am in California. My sister and I started a local non-profit

I am in California. My sister and I started a local non-profit (a Time Bank, see Most Time Banks are 501(c)(3) or divisions of same. I applied for an EIN and did the Fictitious Name Statement so that we could open a bank account. All this was in February 2012. The intention was to register as a non-profit and apply for 501(c)(3).

Instead, a local charity is 'adapting' the organization as a division. They already have 501(c)(3) status. So we will be reporting to them and they will include us in their tax return (they do 990-N, and we will not be big enough to change that).

Do I unregister the EIN, and if so how, and what do I do with the bank account? The organization that is adapting us wants us to register on our own, the intention is for us to have a year or two for doing the paperwork. If I let the EIN go then how would I do the registration with CA and with the US IRS?

If I keep the EIN so I can continue the registration process, how do I report income/expenses at the end of the year, since we will be reporting through the 'parent' company?
If you are organized separately as a corporation, then you should keep the separate EIN. You will need the EIN if you apply separately to be a 501(c)(3) independently, or if you will file any tax returns. You will also need it to maintain a separate bank account. So the response is that if you have an EIN at this point, you should just keep it intact. There is no cost to doing so, and it will probably be useful to you in the future.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best on the nonprofit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The company is not incorporated yet. If I keep the EIN then doesn't the IRS expect paperwork next year? What do I file if yes? If this question should have gone to an accountant can you transfer it?

If it's not a separate Corporation the IRS won't expect tax return and you have no worries.

since you can't return or cancel the number there's really nothing more to do.

Good luck to you and all the best.