MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements

Can my franchisor collect future royalties if they terminate

Can my franchisor collect future royalties if they terminate my a greenest if I fell behind on royalties payment to them. In california
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Are the future royalties payments that would be collected from you or from the sale of the goods/services offered via the franchisor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you still their?
Expert:  MShore Law replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am here Sam. Did you see my question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They would be paid by me from the service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Didn't answer my questio
Expert:  MShore Law replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Sam, after terminating your franchise agreement your obligation to pay royalties for future services terminates, unless per the express terms of your franchise agreement the obligation to pay royalties is treated as a separate covenant per the contract.Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  MShore Law replied 1 year ago.
Sam, I want you to have a complete answer, can you tell me what additional information you seek?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I'm not liable for loss of future royalties if franchiseor terminated my franchise agreement due to me owing them money.
Expert:  MShore Law replied 1 year ago.
No, you generally would only be liable for the money that you owed up to the date of the contract termination. Bear in mind however that I do not have the benefit of reviewing the actual terms of your franchise agreement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In California can the franchisor take position of my building and Buisness if they made me sign a collateral lease agreement. I own the building.
Expert:  MShore Law replied 1 year ago.
Was your building or the equity in it offered as collateral? If so, yes they can exercise rights to seize the collateral to satisfy the debt created by your breach of the franchise agreement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it wasn't as collateral
But I signed a collateral lease agreement when I first got involved with them I due plan to pay them but I want to continue to do Buisness
In my store as an independent Buisness
Not franchised. This is my mens to support my family
Expert:  MShore Law replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Sam, I can certainly appreciate that. If your building was not pledged as collateral you can still utilize the building for your commercial activity. You really should consider having your franchise agreement reviewed by a local attorney as the terms of your franchise agreement are absolutely critical in this situation, as CA will enforce the terms of that agreement. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need additional guidance.
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience: Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements