Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

if neither the defendant nor its lawyer showed up for court

if neither the defendant nor its lawyer showed up for court despite being notified etc (Civil, pro se, $25,000.00)and the damages were awarded to the plaintiff by the judge at the inquest, can the defendant really appeal the judgment? i mean they didnt even bother to come to court to dispute
Yes, they can appeal but their chances of winning are very, very small.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is it normative under the circumstances for the defendant's lawyer to say that the plaintiff obtained the decision by fraud, is it part of the protocol? can this lawyer be sued for defamation?

I don't know if it is normal but it isn't unusual. As a general rule the lawyer can't be sued for allegations contained in the pleadings on file with the court. There might be some cases where the allegations are so outlandish and not based on any kind of a good faith belief and a lawyer could be sued but it would have to be something way, way out there.