Brent Blanchard
Brent Blanchard, Attorney
Experience:  Thirteen years of business law experience, from business formation to litigation
14609131

ra-ke

Customer Question

I have a US corporation Pay My Cafe Inc. and I have PayMeIcafe Corp in the Philippines. They are both separate companies but formed for the same reason to promote my paymycafe software and web services. I have an American partner that lives in the Philippines full time. His name is XXXXX XXXXX my US corporation. My question is I want him to sign a non-compete (he has access to all source codes and start a new business with same code re-named), but will it stand in both the US and Philippines if it is notarized in the Philippines?
Submitted: 4 years ago via RocketLawyer.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Brent Blanchard replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Maybe, maybe not. Even IF a foreign notary is covered by a treaty or compact with the US making it valid, there remains the potential problem of the person who is looking at the notarial marks in the US just might not understand and accept it.

The most reliable way is to have the document notarized, by appointment only, at the US Embassy. http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/notary.html.

Everything else just doesn't have the same "cachet" of authenticity, if you know what I mean. Otherwise, the more correct approach is to get an Apostille for the signature.

Thank you.

BAB.