LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

Hello, Would you help me to understand the following question? Martha

Would you help me to understand the following question?

XXXXX XXXXX was only convicted (and sentenced) for her obstruction of justice charge (not insider trading). Why is that? What are the elements of each and which element was lacking in the government's insider trading case against her?

Thank you
Category: Business Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for this opportunity to try and be of service to you today.

Wisdom...compassion..empathy. These are more than words for me. They are my promise to you.

I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal questions.

QUESTION: "Why is that?

ANSWER: Defenndant Stewart was not convicted of insider trading on account of the Government having failed to meet its burden of proving each and every element of the case against her beyond a reasonable doubt.

QUESTION: "What are the elements of each and which element was lacking in the government's insider trading case against her?"

ANSWER: Prior to the case reaching the Jury, Judge Cederbaum, having reviewed the evidence rpesented by the Government, dismissed the securities frraud charge. The Court held that, as a matter of law, "no reasonable juror can find beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant lied for the purpose of influencing the market for the securities of her own company." Here are the elements for each offense for which she was convicted: (1) conspiracy 18 U.S.C. § 371; (2) obstruction of justice 18 USC § 1505; and (3) making false statements to a federal investigator 18 USC § 1001.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Please remember to rate my answer as "OK SERVICE", "GOOD SERVICE" or "EXCELLENT SERVICE. This is the only way I receive any credit for my efforts in trying to help you. Doing so will not close your question. Feel free to continue our dialog if you need clarification or have a related follow-up without additional charge to you.

If you feel the need to click either "Bad Service" or "Poor Service", please STOP and TALK to me via the "REPLY" button (NOT "RELIST") with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. In rating my work, please realize that I am merely the messenger, meaning I do not write the laws and can only report them to you.

Placing a BONUS is a nice way of expressing appreciation and will be most gratefully appreciated to allow me to continue helping customers!

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: LawInfoNow. Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.