Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Our condo management board is deciding to start charging when

Customer Question

Our condo management board is deciding to start charging when we bring guests to our common pool. This is a new action of the board and as I read it, totally against the By Laws that govern them (they are only empowered to establish and collect annual assessments and special assessments - which are not defined as use fees for specific common assets). When I brought this up with them they stated that they are not charging other unit owners only the guests that they bring ... buy my contention is that they are not empowered to charge unit owners, guest or any one else. How to file an injunction to get them to stop doing this? It really would not pay to get a lawyer to do this ... can this be done on my own at the county court house?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
In order for them to charge such fees, if the bylaws do not permit it, they would have to pass a new bylaw to do so. If the fee they are seeking to charge does not fit into your current bylaws definitions of their powers, then any resident would be able to file suit for declaratory judgment against the association and with that declaratory judgment they would file a motion for temporary injunction. The declaratory judgment suit would be where you ask the court to decide if the bylaws allow such a fee. You cannot just file an injunction, you have to file the suit with a motion for temporary injunction.

Of course, you can also get the owners and call a meeting in accordance with the bylaws and propose a new bylaw change to specifically disallow these type of fees, that is your other recourse.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”