Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I am a former employee from Company A while worked on project

I am a former employee from Company A while worked on project for customer Company B. Now I am working with Company C, which is a competitor to A. I accidentally uploaded one document which the copy write is belong to A, and this document containing confidential information of B in specific project. I intended to upload another file but made mistake as I was distracting by other things and I even did not notice the mistake until A send a notice to me and my currently employer C, stating that I violated the confidential agreement with A. What they want by now is that I should return all the copies I have to A. And me and C should both state whether I leak confidential information from A to C, which is NOT. A said B is very very angry about it and it was actually B found out about the uploaded document on internet. A said B may contact me and may sue me. If they contact me, how can I avoid B to sue me? and if they sue me, what they will claim? Any one can help me with this situation?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 years ago.
Welcome!

I am happy to help you. If you need clarification with this answer, hit reply and ask a follow up question prior to providing a rating. Otherwise, after reviewing the answer, please provide a positive rating without additional cost to you so I receive credit for the services I am providing you.

This is complicated so try to follow me. When someone breaches a confidentiality agreement, the aggrieved party (the party that was allegedly hurt) has claims for injunctive relief (e.g., a restraining order to prevent the use of the information) and for damages. If you had an agreement with Company A and you breached the agreement, then Company A could seek injunctive relief and damages. It is more complicated with Company B. It is unclear what confidentiality agreement Company B had with Company A. If there was an agreement, then Company B could sue Company A, and Company A would implead you (include you in the claim). However, even if you are liable both Company A and Company B would have to prove damages. This is usually done by showing how profits or revenue decreased (if they did) due to the breach. For a person to protect themselves in this situation, it is best to attempt to seek a release from liability when settling the matter. For example, if returning the disclosed document is a remedy, the party returning it (you) would attempt to seek a release from damages from Company A. Company B would be more difficult because there was no direct relationship with Company B and you (the alleged breacher of an agreement with A). In any event if Company B wants to sue, they would have to show that they had a confidentiality agreement with Company A and would need to show damages.

Feel free to ask follow up questions before providing a rating. This information provided to you is informative and helpful. If you need clarification, feel free to hit reply so we can work on any clarification prior to providing a rating. Otherwise, please provide a positive rating now without an additional cost to you so I receive credit for the services I am providing to you. I am doing my best to help you. Thank you, Damien

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, what I am going to do - returning and delete all copies from A is a right attempt to seek a release from damages from Company A?

But for Company B, they need to prove damage, this is the base for filing a suit? I really do not see what damage I can bring by uploading this doc a week ago. But A said the damage is huge, and already....so what kind of prove can show and evaluate the damage?

If B wants to sue, can B sue me myself only? or has to be me and A together? I ask this because if this sue can only to me, there is reason that A exaggerate this accident to B to avoid bringing suitcase on themselves.

Thanks
Hi Shuo: I am glad that my answer was informative and helpful to you. Please provide a positive rating without additional cost to you so I receive credit for the services I have provided you.

Company B does not have a claim against you directly unless you signed a confidentiality agreement with them. So, Company B has no cause of action against you individually. Company B would have a claim against Company A if there was a confidentiality agreement between Company A and B. Company A has a claim against you for breach of the confidentiality agreement. If you were represented by counsel, counsel would attempt a release from damages from Company A upon you providing the document to them because they would more likely sign a release before receiving the document. Damages are proven by loss profits. If you believe that Company B cannot show damages, then it is less likely they would sue. If you believe that Company A suffered damages and Company A believe you have money, then depending on how they operate, they could pursue you. If you had a good relationship with Company A and they know your actions were inadvertent (by mistake) then it would be less likely that they would pursue a claim. Only you know enough about their personalities to know what they would do. Legally, I have provided you the best information that would help you in your current situation and you should be relieved that you know the legal implications of this complicated situation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Damien,

Thanks for your answers.

I went to A today return all my copies. A said in my confidential agreement with A, the customer confidential agreement is included, although it is not stating it is B or I signed the contract directly with B. Is this agreement enough to starting a sue from B to me personally?

Thanks,
Hi Shuo: I am happy the first two answers I provided to you helped you. Please provide a positive rating without additional cost to you for all the time and effort I have spent helping you. From the facts you stated, it still appears that Company B would have to sue Company A first and Company A would have to sue you as part of the suit. As you know, we cannot determine for sure what Company B would do but because you never had a written agreement with Company B, it appears you would have a justifiable defense if they tried to sue you directly. I have done my best to help you through this site and I am sure you appreciate it. Please provide a positive rating now for me. If you have further questions, you can always ask them. Much appreciated, Damien
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience: Helping you with your legal questions.
Hi Shuo,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Damien Bosco