Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

I own an LLC company in the state MD, the some of the person

I own an LLC company in the state MD, the some of the person living in the NY,
they are the independent contractor with 1099 as driver, i proveded them the vehicle to service. My question is do i have to buy workers compensation? The state of NY request my LLC company to pay the workers compensation penalty to them is that right?
Also all the vehicles have covered the whole coverege.

Thank you
If they are truly independent contractors (IC) then you are not required to have workers comp and thus wouldn't have to pay a penalty.

The state website explains when someone is an employee and when they are an independent contractor (just because you say they are an IC doesn't mean they are). You can see the state website with its explanations at

There is also a pretty good article at

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.